Do you want to have more energy? Feel more vibrant? Leave all sluggishness behind?
Here's some good news. You can increase vitality with one simple step: drink more water. Yes, it’s that simple.
Drink more water.
Why is proper hydration so important?
Everyone knows that water is essential for all life. Our bodies are made up of 60% water. We need water for every system to function properly. So what happens when we don’t replenish our reserves? It turns out dehydration – even mild dehydration – can have drastic effects, especially on the brain.
Interestingly, the brain is greatly affected by dehydration, studies carried out on children, women, men and older adults have all shown similar results.
Dehydration can result in increased fatigue and anxiety, reduced motivation, decreased mood, impaired concentration and memory, and may increase headaches. It can also make exercising feel more daunting and draining – mentally and physically.
However, proper hydration can prevent this from happening. Hydrating means giving the body its basic needs to function properly, naturally increasing vitality. When we are full of vitality we have got energy, we are in a good mood, and feel like we are able to tackle anything. The first step to getting there is to ensure we are hydrated.
How much water are you drinking? Is it enough?
The average adult should be drinking an average of 1.5 to 2 litres of water per day. However, there are some factors to consider when determining how much to drink:
- Weight - the more you weigh, the more you need to drink.
- Exercise - the more you sweat, the more you need to replenish.
- Weather/climate - drink more often during summer and drier months.
- Diet - Eating a lot of salty foods or drinking a lots of caffeine can have a diuretic effect. Supplement with more water to replenish.
Tips and Tricks
If you struggle to meet your daily intake of water, try these tips:
- Get a beautiful reusable bottle so you know how much you're drinking.
- Set reminders for yourself or get a drink water reminder app.
- Create rituals around drinking more.
- Add sliced lemon or other fruit to your water to make it more appealing.
- Drink herbal tea.
Anything to Add?
How do you stay hydrated? Any tips or tricks we haven't mentioned? Share them with us! We want to know. Message us at @indigo_herbs on Instagram, we'd love to hear from you!