As a Mother, I am committing to a natural healthy lifestyle, and I am an advocate for the prevention of disease through complementary and alternative health practises. I have learnt so much about natural health and nutrition through the process of co-creating life, giving birth to life, and then nurturing life. I give thanks for the wellspring of resources to be found by looking after our health and wellbeing naturally. So how can nature's botanicals help us as Mums?
HERBS & SUPERFOODS TAKEN EVERYDAY- PREVENTION COMES BEFORE CURE
Seeing my own Mother face her own battle with cancer, made me acutely aware of the importance of a healthy lifestyle and prevention coming well before we even consider the cure. Nowadays as always, we woman and Mothers face many challenges, we are lucky in the West that our challenges are less about finding something to eat and more about health, well being and quality of life. But we share the responsibility with all Mothers across the globe of ensuring the wellbeing and easing the suffering of those around us. This care and concern must first begin right at home.
MUMS COME FIRST
Well it has to be said that female social conditioning in our culture leads most mums to feeling like there is “nothing left for me at the end of the day”. This is because mum’s often play out the role of giving out everything to everyone else, and putting everyone else first. It’s true that the archetypal mother is the nurturer of all, like the Hindu Goddess Lakshmi, but we mere mortal mums do have our limits, so we need to contradict our cultural conditioning, as women and mothers and make sure we get what we need as well.
ENOUGH OF EVERYTHING FOR EVERYONE?
The feminine cycle of fertility, nurturing, and replenishment, means that there is enough of everything for everyone, however if we do not respect, love and nurture the mother, if we only deplete, exhaust and drain her resources then this true harmony cannot prevail. As mums we may be responsible for leading our family, and most importantly leading our family’s health, however if we are neglected, and depleted then how can we teach and inspire by example. If mum isn't ok then chances are the family isn’t ok.
RESPECT YOURSELF..YAH YAH YAH yah yah
Take care of yourself if you’re a mum. Learn to say No to the things that drain you and Yes to the things that nurture you. Inspire your children, family, friends, and community to take care of themselves, but lead by example.
SUPERMUM WANTED: MUST HAVE SUPER POWERS:
Super nutrition can be a cornerstone of giving back to yourself what you truly deserve. Let’s face it being a Mum doesn’t come with a paid lunch break and most Mum’s probably do a 12-15 hour day. There is definitely a case for Super power strengths being desirable. Including super foods in your daily diet can ensure you are running on optimum energy. Supporting your health and wellbeing naturally with Superfoods, Herbs and a Botanical lifestyle can go a long way towards putting Mum’s first, so here’s a few recommended super plants for Supermum’s:
- The most famous and popular herb in Ayurvedic medicine for women is Shatavari, Asparagus racemosus. This root is considered to be the best general tonic for women in Ayurveda, known to promote fertility, strengthen the uterus, regulate menstruation, promote the flow of breast milk, assist in recovery from childbirth and alleviate many symptoms of the menopause. This all rounder is taken daily by Indian woman throughout all stages of their life.
- Maca, Lepidium Mayenii is taken widely in Peru by women of all ages. It is a popular part of the Peruvian way of life. Maca is a root vegetable that looks a bit like a turnip and added to soups, cakes, breads and drinks. It is grown high in the Andes at 14,000 ft in very rich soils, so its mineral content is especially high. Maca is known to help with balancing hormones. It is indicated as useful for women in dealing with symptoms of PMT and regulating and normalizing the menstrual cycle. It is used during the menopause as a natural alternative to HRT.
- Cacao, Theobroma cacao is the raw ingredient for chocolate. This potent, bitter sweet bean is rich in phyto-nutrients known to induce happiness and states of Bliss. These phyto nutrients trigger the brain chemistry to induce feelings of well being. The bean is also rich in Magnesium which supports the contraction and relaxation of muscles. These factors make Cacao an excellent choice for the time of the month, reducing menstrual cramps and lifting the mood. The Cacao bean was highly prized in Mayan times and was traded as currency, and known as the food of the Gods.
- Hemp, Cannabis Sativa is a nutrient rich botanical, and a good source of Omega 3 & 6. The seeds are a powerful anti-oxidant and a rich source of protein, giving the body all the essential 8 amino acids that it needs. No other single plant source provides complete protein nutrition in such an easily digestible form. A diet rich in essential amino acids can support the whole body's health and wellbeing, prevent disease and can be particually supportive through the menopause.
- Spirulina, Arthrospira platensis is an edible algae that has a complete range of nutrients, vitamins and minerals and is a source of protein. This Superfood green powder is calming and alkalizing to the whole system and can support health and well being when taken daily. Many people find this nutrient dense superfood food energising, and it is known to have a detoxifying effect.
More Plants used Traditionally for:
- The Monthly Cycle: Agnus Castus berries, Black Cohosh root, Dong Quai root, Wild Yam root, Red Clover flowers,
- The Child bearing years:
- Breast feeding: Blessed thistle leaves, fennel seed, fenugreek seed
- Pregnancy: Raspberry Leaf, Nettle Leaf
- As an Aphrodisiac: Chuchuhuasi bark, Catuaba Bark, Clavohuasca vine, Damiana leaves
- For PMS: Evening Primrose Botanical oil , Clary Sage Essential Oil
- For Weight Loss: Gymnema Sylvestra root, Hoodia Gordonii stem
Here at Indigo Herbs we know what Mum's truely require, so we have blended a proprietary range of herbal teas,aromatherapy oils and 100% pure raw chocolate with Mum’s in mind:
- The Emotional Balance aromatherapy oils range,
- The Intimate Bliss aromatherapy oils range,
- Monthly Moon Time Tea and Monthly Moontime aromatherapy oils range,
- Pregnancy Care aromatherapy oils range,
- Postnatal Care aromatherapy oils,
- Wise Woman Tea
- Goddess Pure Raw Chocolate,
So Here's the Supermum's daily Superfood smoothie recipe, why not give it a try?
Maca powder x 1 desertspoon (Yummy malted taste)
Shatavari Powder X i teaspoon (Mild taste, not detectable in the mix)
Hemp seeds (hulled) x 1 desertspoon (nutty creamy taste/texture)
Spirulina x 1 teaspoon (Its that supergreen healthy flavour)
Cacao powder x 1 desertspoon (Yep its the one that i want)
Banana, blueberries, raspberrys, or other soft fruits (Yum)
300ml Filtered water
Can be sweetened with a liitle honey.
Wizz all ingredients up in a Blender/ Smoothie Maker.
Drink and Enjoy