Indigo Herbs Organic Cacao Beans are 100% pure, raw, unheated and untreated. These nutrient rich beans can be eaten as snacks and have a bitter sweet and sour taste. Organic Cacao Beans taste delicious when mixed with nuts, seeds, fruits and raw chocolate.
At Indigo Herbs we are passionate about premium quality botanicals. Explore the tabs on this page to find out more about the health benefits, quality, manufacture and suggested use of this superfood. At Indigo Herbs we are committed to empowering optimum health and nutrition and assisting you to take responsibility for your own health and wellbeing, by having access to many of nature’s healing botanicals.
Also known as: Kakaw, Cocoa
- High in Magnesium: Cacao is one of the top 10 Magnesium rich foods. Magnesium relaxes muscles and strengthens bones and improves circulation.
- Iron: Cacao is also a source of Iron. Iron oxygenates the blood and reduces fatigue.
- High in dietary fibre.
- Also contains Phyto-nutrients.
- Cacao makes an excellent supplement for women during the monthly cycle, as it is high in Magnesium it can relieve muscle cramps, and a source of Iron is good for the blood. It is also favoured by Athletes, for muscle recovery, and energy.
- It makes an excellent healthy treat for both children and adults.
Natural Chocolate is simple and easy to make.
The Chocolate ingredients must be handled carefully, the Cacao Butter must be melted over a bowl of boiling water. When the butter has liquefied, the dry ingredients can be stirred in.
Firstly add flavourings such as vanilla powder, then Cacao powder, then sweetener such as Agave Syrup.
The chocolate is still runny at this stage so must be poured into moulds before it sets. The moulds can be put in a freezer to set for 20 minutes, then the chocolate easily pops out of the mould. For full instruction go to our How to make Raw Chocolate Page.
- The Cacao Bean has a wonderful light heavenly aroma, and slightly bitter sweet chocolate taste, it can be enjoyed in its pure intense form or it can be mixed up with dried fruits or nuts to create texture and flavour as a superfood trial mix.
- All our Raw Organic Cacao ingredients can be used to make raw smoothies, raw chocolate bars, raw chocolate cakes and desserts. The beans can be added to muesli, yogurts, cereals, trail mix and flapjacks, for a delicious super-nutritious addition.
Use as required.
Daily Portion in grams
Energy KJ/ Kcal
of which saturates
RDA: reference intake of an average adult
- Certified Organic by The Organic Food Federation. (OFF logo)
- Produced to GMP standards (Logo)
- Quality Assured by Indigo Herbs. (link to Quality statement)
- Suitable for vegetarians and vegans (Vegetarian society logo)
- Gluten free (Celiac Society LOGO)
- Re-sealable air tight, foil pouch (Link to cert of food spec pouch)
- 100% pure botanical ingredients, absolutely nothing added.
These Cacao Beans are from a fair trade supplier in Peru, from the rich and fertile soils of South America. The Latin name Theobroma literally means food of the Gods. There is a great history of use of Cacao in South America and the beans were once valued so highly that they were used as currency.
Cocoa trees produce fibrous pods 15 to 25cm long and 7 to 10cm in diameter. Each contains 20 to 40 beans (seeds) within a pulp. After harvesting, the cacao pods are opened, and the beans and pulp removed. These are piled together and fermented over several days in the ambient tropical temperature (below 118°F, 47°C) - fermentation removes the tannins and is key to the development of the classic aroma and taste of the beans. Following fermentation, the beans are carefully sundried, again below 118°F. At this stage the beans are inspected and packed for dispatch.
Much like coffee, raw cacao acts as a stimulant, which at the least can negatively affect sleep and at worst may agitate kidneys.
Organic Raw Cacao Beans
4 months ago
Great value. The cacao beans were fresh and lovely. Thank you :)
5 months ago
Many more times stronger Antioxidants than of Blueberries.
Great source of Iron, Magnesium.
11 months ago
Normslly have nibs but thought I would try organic raw choc beans Really pleased with product. Tastes delicious just eaten from pack. Excellent value
one year ago
An acquired taste but well worth trying
one year ago
will prob buy again when i finish current kilo